Do’s and Don’ts If the Police Stop You
The following advice is offered by the National Black Police Association , an organization dedicated to promoting justice, fairness and effectiveness in law enforcement.
▪ KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE THE POLICE CAN SEE THEM
▪ PLEASE . . . DO NOT RUN!
▪ DO NOT TOUCH ANY POLICE OFFICER.
▪ DO NOT RESIST – even if you believe you are innocent.
▪ DO NOT COMPLAIN TOO STRONGLY on the scene or tell the police they’re wrong or that you’re going to file a complaint.
▪ ASK FOR A LAWYER immediately when arrested.
▪ RECORD OFFICERS’ BADGE NUMBERS and PATROL CAR NUMBERS and WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING you remember – ASAP.
▪ TRY TO FIND WITNESSES and their names and phone numbers
Addition information about what to do if stopped by the police can also be found at 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care.